Barry and I started (a few months ago) reading the chapters of scripture for the Sunday School lessons each week. We send each other an email each day reporting the things we learned and impressions we may have received. It's been such a rewarding process. It helps me to really focus on what I'm reading and to seek the whisperings of the Spirit to hear what I need to learn, it gives me an insight into my husband's mind and heart, and it gives us something meaningful to discuss in the evenings.
Today I was reading in The Book of Mormon from Mosiah chapter 5. In verse 4 it says that King Benjamin's people rejoiced "with such exceedingly great joy" over the things which their king had taught them (to remember what he taught, see http://scriptures.lds.org/en/mosiah/4). As I read that I was thinking "I want to feel such great joy more often in my life." I spend so much time feeling sorry for myself, inadequate, or depressed over the fact that I and my life are not perfect (like I want them to be in my head). Silly, I know, but it's true. Anyway, in the next verse it says that the people entered into a covenant with God to do His will, obey His commandments, etc. Then a light went off in my head. Ding! I did that too. I made covenants with God and I recovenant with Him each Sunday while partaking of the Sacrament. Then my thoughts were led to the temple and how I feel so full of love and joy each time I go. And I always leave with a huge sense of peace and desire to serve Him. So, when I want to feel such exceedingly great joy I need to go to church each Sunday and take the Sacrament in the right Spirit and I need to visit the temple often (which is not often convenient, but totally worth the effort/money/time)!
I am so grateful for the scriptures and for a husband who inspires me to read and understand them! Just taking a few minutes out of my day to sit and think about nothing other than those words has truly benefited me today. It's nice to feel joyful, even when things aren't perfect. =)
Friday, May 9, 2008
Mosiah 5
Posted by
snbjork
at
1:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Isn't it great to realize if we just do the little things like read the scriptures and pray how much insight and happiness we can get from that? Thanks for sharing your experience.
It's funny how at peace I feel when I realize my own nothingness. It makes me happy because no matter what I will always be an unworthy creature. It helps me not do so much comparing to other people. Your post was uplifting.
I'm gonna make Nate start studing the ss lesson with me... ou inspired me!
Oh Suzanne - you are twice the woman that I am (only half the size:)
Post a Comment