Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I Will Survive!

Yesterday I ran my first 5K! It was quite the experience. I have been "training" to run this thing for months, but I had never quite made it the whole 3.1 miles without stopping. Running is HARD WORK! Some of you might think I'm a pansy for saying that. And you're right. I am a pansy.

Anyway, I was a bit skeptical that I would be able to finish the race, for obvious reasons. And there were many times during the race that I thought I would need to quit. I kept telling Barry "okay, in about two minutes I'm going to stop for a little while, I just can't keep running." But, then somehow I would push myself a bit further and a bit further. Barry would remind me that I could just slow down a bit instead of walking. He was the perfect running coach for me. He was encouraging and kept telling me I was doing great.

I am planning to run another 5K in October. Anyone want to join me?! I am not a fast runner. I finished the whole race in 33 minutes and 31 seconds. I'm certainly no speedy gonzales.

Boy did it feel good to cross that finish line (especially after I got over the wanting to throw up part)!

Thanks for stopping by.

The End.

P.S. I don't have any pictures of the actual race because no one was there to take any. My sister-in-law took a before and after (she ran with us, too), so I will post those when she emails them to me.

9 comments:

Barry said...

I don't know what you're talking about. You were so fast I could barely see you. I think your new name is going to be The Flash!

kellibattraw said...

You rock Suzanne! I'm really proud of you. I seriously think I could run for like 3 minutes before I'd have to stop. : )

Libby's Library said...

Kelly said that she could run for maybe 3 minutes - I bet I couldn't make it to the mailbox. You are an inspiration and I love you!

snbjork said...

Well, Kelli, that is why you TRAIN for the race! =) A few months ago, when I first started, I could hardly run 30 seconds without being out of breath. You could totally do it! If I can, anyone can!

Mom, don't worry, there's no need for you to run to the mailbox. A nice leisurely walk should suffice. I love you, lady! =)

Sara said...

That is so great!!! I decided that I need a goal to work toward to get into shape so Ryan and I are going to run the one in October. Or he said there is also a Labor Day one so we are considering that too. You're such an inspiration!

Mandee said...

I am impressed!!! I have always wanted to go and run a race but am always intimidated by that hard work you mentioned! I am like your mom, it kills me to run to the mailbox! Great job!

Kevin said...

Suzanne, that is so awesome that you ran a 5k! I'd pass out just contemplating doing it.
Keep it up! You're great! (I'm Kari, not Kevin)

Dahnelle said...

Congrats Suzanne!!! I used to run, but have never done anything as cool as a 5K or anything. :)

The Prigmore Family said...

Where do you hide your super suit and cape? Wonder mom, fab chef, now runner mcgee. When does the madness end suzanne? When?