Friday, March 26, 2010

Phone Phobia (and the front door, too).

So, anyone who knows me well at all knows that:

1. I HATE the phone. And I usually don't answer it. Barry and I always do a cheer when we get home and find that there are no messages on the voice mail. Now, it's one thing to get a message from my Mom & Dad saying hi or my grandparents checking in. I'm talking about messages from someone wanting you to call them back because they have a question about something. If you have a question, just let me know what it is in the voice mail so I don't put off calling you for five days (or more) because I am worried to death about what the dreaded question may be.

2. If you stop by my house and don't call me before hand to tell me you are coming, then there is a 99% chance that I will not answer the door! It's complicated. I have no peep hole in my door (I need a peep hole!). I do have a window next to the door but I like to keep it covered so that strange people standing on my doorstep can't look directly into my house. It creeps me out and irritates me. That means that I have no view of who's out there. It could be any crazy person! Or more likely someone just wanting to sell me something. We get those people in our neighborhood a lot and it's about driven me to the point of putting up a "No Soliciting" sign. Is that rude? Even if it is, I don't care. I think I am going to do it anyway. Seriously, this random guy came to our door earlier in the week. Barry answered it for some reason. He went into this long story about something or other. In the end he just wanted us to buy a magazine or something "for the children!" so that he could win a trip to Australia. I mean, come on! If I'm going to send anyone to Australia it's going to be my family or at least someone I know. Not some random guy who has come to bug us for money. No way. So, anyway, if you need to see me just give me a call (or TEXT if you're a Verizon customer...boy do I love texting) beforehand and let me know you're heading over. Then I'll probably answer the door. I'm just saying.=)

ANYWAY, if you'd like to understand further my strange (but not altogether uncommon, as I am beginning to learn) abhorrence of the phone, then please read the beginning of this post by The Pioneer Woman. It more fully describes my feelings. Apparently she and I agree on this topic. =)

9 comments:

Barry said...

Why do we even have phones? Neither one of us like to answer them. We should cut all outside communication to email and texting. :)

Lisha said...

Suzanne! I'm with you! Nate thinks i'm strange because I hate the phone, but I try to tell him it's just more than me... other people hate the phone, too!

Unknown said...

Suzanne, you sound just like Kari:)-
me: "why don't you call _____?"
Kari: "uh, do I have to. I just emailed them."

Sara said...

I don't know what I'd do without texting either. I'm fairly new to it and wish I had figured out how great it is sooner.

How do you stop your kids from running to the door when the doorbell rings? Mine do every time.

Dahnelle said...

I hate the phone too, for the most part. I mean, I guess it's a nice little invention and I get to keep in tough with my family and that's good, but I still can't stand hearing it ring :)

Stephanie said...

Hello there my dear sister. You are so funny and cute. I love that the phone and the door bother you and I am very grateful that you answer when I call and return the messages that I leave.
I think it is funny that you and I are so different concerning this matter.
I love you and I hope that you call me soon :)

SARAH said...

LOL!

Nicole, Paul, Ike and Aubs said...

Suz...Boy do I miss you. Do you believe me? We have now been gone from BYUH for five years (wiping a tear from my eye) but Paul and I still talk about you guys all the time. I so wish we lived closer. Even a days drive away would be nice. I think we need to have a brouwer-bjork family reunion.

PS: I refuse to answer the phone if it's an unrecognizable number. I also will not go to the door for strangers/solicitors. I'm shameless about it. I don't hide. I don't shush the kids. I just don't answer.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I hate the phone, but I feel so duty bound to call people back! I don't mind chatting to people I am friends with, but random people, ummm no. :) I also hate when solicitors come by and now that I have my BIG dog very few come to the door! lol